Saturday, January 14, 2006

arthritis little stories - Why my white hair turn black

My main pre-occupation in life is to find
relief from this scourge called rheumatoid
arthritis. But so far in my search, I have only
been able to get temporary cures for periods of
sometimes upto six months; but a permanent
cure proves elusive.

But the search is not without its benefit.

In 1998, I tried "pycnogenol" extracted from
pine bark. It has given relief for some
rheumy sufferers and I thought it might do
me some good. Pycnogenol did help to dampen the
inflammatory condition at the joints but the
surprising result was not so much in the
joints as in my hair.

It was my regular barber that pointed it out
to me that my hair were turning black during
a hair-cut session on a day some six months
after I have started taking the pycnogenol.
The dosage then was 100mg morning and night.
The barber picked a hair from the floor to show
me why he said what he said. The black hair
he showed me had one end of it black in colour
and the other half portion white. He then
demanded to know what medicine I took.

I have noticed my hair turning white a few
years ago. I took it to be a sign of the aging
process and was not in anyway purturb by it.
At the time of starting on the pycnogenol for
my joints, I had more more white hair than black.
After the incident at the barber, of course I
had more reason to continue the taking of the
pine bark pycnogenol. Later on, I switched
to the cheaper grape seed extract (OPC).
The effect on the joints or hair were the same.

It took a further six months for my hair to turn
almost completely black. A few strands of hair
at the side burns continue to be white but these
strands also succumbed to being black after a year.
Now if you look at me, you will see someone with
black hair. I am sure hidden among the black
hair will be a few white strands, but you may have
to sieve through the hair to locate them.

Friends who had seen my white hair turning black
also tried out with the grapeseed extract.
Those who take them regularly seems more likely
to have the same good results that I have.
For some, it took upto a year to see mark changes.

I am still taking the grapeseed extract regularly
every morning and night for my joints. It helps as
a palliative treatment for my rheumy conditions.
The hair bit; well that's the bonus effect.


/faizhai

----------------------------------------

I have searched the net for this OPC effect on
white hair but so far, there is no literature to
support it. If anyone of you had this same
experience, I would appreciate it if you leave
a comment.