Sunday, January 29, 2006

arthritis little stories - The great inflammation reducer

The anti-oxidants - Selenium ACE, OPC, SOD, alpha Lipoic Acid

All through the years, my basic anti-oxidants came about in the form of a general all
enhancing vitamin and mineral pill. I have no doubt that it helped generally, but it did little to quench the inflammation associated with my rheumatoid arthritis. I would take an analgesic or NSAID and the arthritic pain would go, but the regular monthly blood test for inflammation level in the body continued to be high. This continued to be so until I started taking a high dosage of anti-oxidants. At first it was a combination of selenium, vitamins A, C and E taken morning and night. Later, I was to add in small amounts of alpha lipoic acid, SOD and CoQ10. These anti-oxidants together with the OPC grape seed extract which I had started earlier on helped in no small way to keep the inflammation down.

The underlying rheumatoid arthritis did not vanish with the anti-oxidants. It is still very much there. If you were to remove these anti-oxidants from your diet, you would soon start to feel the inflammation at the joints. The presence of anti-oxidants only serves to keep the inflammation down and allows you to cut down on your pain killer.

Having these anti-oxidants regularly helps keep me in a more comfortable situation then if I did not take them. I just wished I had taken them earlier when I had the rheumatoid arthritis and not some seventeen years later.